Sunday, November 4, 2007

The Great Gatsby - November 7,2007 - Chapter 2

In Chapter two Nick sees Tom's other life. Nick and Tom were coming back from New York one day and Tom demanded that Nick meet his mistress. She lived with her husband, Mr. Wilson, above his car garage. It was located in the part of town where ashes covered everything. I think the ashes definately symbolize something, I'm not completely sure what though. Maybe something like, how just like in life, things are always covered up, like Tom's relationship with Myrtle. Daisy tries to cover it up, even though everyone knows about it.
Tom, Nick, and Myrtle then go up to Tom and Myrtle's apartment in New York and they host a sort of party. I think Nick feels kind of like an outsider, there are all these couples there or at least people that know Tom and Myrtle, and Nick is just drug along. He does meet Myrtle's sister, and they talk for quite some time. At the end of the night, Tom and Myrtle are arguing about whether or not it was appropriate for Myrtle to bring up Daisy's name. It didn't seem to be that big of deal, but all of the sudden Tom hit Myrtle and broke her nose!! This made me wonder how any woman could over love Tom. He cheats on his wife, is abusive, and seems to be kind of a control freak. So far it seems that Nick is the one with the only normal life. Everyone else in this book has some sort of secret, or double life.
I predict that in the coming chapters Nick will continue to find out more little details about Mr. Gatsby, becaues everyone else seems to know him and something about him. I also think that he will see a lot more of Tom. Tom seems to like being friends with Nick, whether he is at home with Daisy, or with Myrtle in New York.

6 comments:

hm said...

I agree with you when you say that the ashes represent something. I also agree that it could be representing everyone hiding something. The grey could also be because it's a gloomy time for the people that are hiding something and everything is hazy and dim at this time, when morals start to fall out of place.

A-jac said...

I agree that no woman could ever truly love Tom. However, I believe he will always have one with him because of what he represents - a strong man with lots of money.

Rosalia said...

I agree with you that Tom really isn’t a good guy and that he probably isn’t a good husband at all. Also I think that Nick feels out of place but I also think that he feels trapped. He keeps trying to leave and go for a walk but he gets pulled back into conversation or stuck with Catherine

B DUB said...

I don't know if i fully agree that Tom is not a good person. He is cheating on his wife, but it bothers him quite a bit that Daisy is saying bad things about his wife causing him to hit her which makes me think maybe he is going to quit seeing her but you seem to understand things much better than I do so I'm probably wrong.

~~still_no_pickles~~ said...

I like your thoughts on the ashes...yeah, I don't know how Myrtle or Daisy can handle Tom...right away I didn't really like him because of his condescending nature...now I really don't like him...but sometimes I think he's hiding some of his deeper feelings...maybe...I dunno

c-comets said...

You are definatly right about the ashes symbolizing something. Yeah, I also agree that it would be impossible for another woman to love Tom because he treats them like rags!