Sunday, December 2, 2007

The Great Gatsby - December 5, 2007 - Pages 154 - 171

This second to last chapter is the most significant chapter in the whole book, I think. First, we learn that Daisy married Tom because she got tired of waiting for Gatsby to get back from the war, because she wanted her life to start. Then, it talks alot about Wilson and Michaelis the night of the accident. I think the writer did this to show us how "crazy" Wilson is becoming. At the end of the chapter, Wilson shoots Gatsby while he is in his pool. The end of this chapter was so astonishing. Yet, at the same time, it didn't surprise me at all. It was so ironic and so full circle, I don't think it could have ended any other way. The one thing I wonder though is how Wilson found out it was Gatsby? He had never met Gatsby, or seen him, and Tom definatly never talked about him. I think, though, that Tom tipped him off. After all, it would be the perfect way to get rid of Gatsby.
Predicting on the final chapter, I don't think anything this big will happen. I expect something big to maybe happen with Daisy though. I think we will maybe find out somthing ironic or astonishing about thier past together.
Reflecting, I expected Wilson to find out that Daisy did it and for Gatsby to some how take the blame. I didn't think that Wilson would be strong enough to actually kill someone.

1 comment:

Rosalia said...

George has went a little crazy after his wife died. I can understand to some extent but the way he paced and the way he kept talking to himself he was going a bit overboard. Also I think that the reason he was going so crazy was not so much his wife was killed but the fact that she tried to stop this person seemed as if she knew this person and he thinks it is her lover and that is why he wants so badly to kill this person. Also i really did not think he had it in him to kill someone let alone himself.